Thursday, November 11, 2010

Senioritis.

My good friend Laura Clayton posted this as her facebook status today -

Senioritis (n) A crippling disease that strikes seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of track pants, old athletic shirts, sweatpants, spandex, and sweatshirts. Also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as Graduation.

I totally have it! Of course I already knew that I was one of the many afflicted by this all-consuming disease, but this just put it into better words. It's a little difficult being near the end of this undergrad road, mostly because I am struggling to find any kind of outside source to push me into excelling in my final classes. I'm in a major that is difficult for me, I don't want it to lead to any kind of career, and I find myself generally without academic purpose. Grad school is definitely not for me, and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel has made me want to run to it... I'm so close! The problem is, senioritis has definitely crept in, and it's like a disease that paralyzes your legs, making the end impossible to reach. Nevermind that I hate running in the first place.

To make matters worse, I just visited the advisement center (again) to see if I could apply for graduation, and I just found out that I have 22.5 MORE credits to do before I graduate! I thought it was only the 17 from my major, which would be easily done by June, but I forgot about my ONE GE left aaaand the 120 credit requirement for graduation... There it goes, that light at the end of the tunnel has become much more dim. I was hoping to finish by June and then do a term internship somewhere like DC. Looks like that might have to wait until next Fall. Which might be cool, actually.

What I really want to do, I've decided, is start my own business; but how can I possibly start my own business without any kind of business experience in the first place! So much to figure out, so ill-equipped to do so. Luckily, I have great parents who advise me every step of the way. Although, I have felt like they've given me some conflicting advice.

At one point, one of my parents (I won't name who, Dad, don't worry) told me, in more eloquent and rational words, to spend my time finding a husband. Hey, no complaints here (and my interpretation of his words might have been just that - MY interpretation haha). But that adds another stress to my life. I am in Provo - the Mecca of Mormon dating. How do I leave a place like this to spend my time in a singles ward somewhere, with way less options and a much smaller pool? We'll see. I guess I'm jumping the gun. I still have until August here... but then what?

No comments:

Post a Comment